Sunday, August 30, 2009

Post surgery update

"C-sections are the way to go." or NOT. I've heard several people say this before and now I'm thinking they were on crack. I did have Madison vaginally and it was a really rough recovery due to some complications, but this being cut open business is horrible. Let's back up and I'll tell you about the surgery. I went in on Thursday knowing all of the possibilities: losing one ovary or both, hysterectomy, death, etc. I was dreading getting an IV in because I have horrible veins. I know a lot of people say this, but mine really are, just ask any nurse at Ochsner. They had to stick me 7 times for my D&C in June. This time it only took 5!

I don't remember the surgery, except the moments before and the waking up process. Have you ever been under anesthesia before? I think it's a really awesome thing, but I hate coming off of it. You go in and out of consciousness. First you can hear. After a while you can open your eyes. But even these actions seem to take a lot out of you and back to la la land you go. Anyway, I remember waking up in recovery and Keith was there with me. I asked him how the surgery went and he said "It went really well honey, the doctor said it couldn't have gone any better." I said "do I still have my ovary?" pause. pause. (please note the next phrase was said with great sympathy & compassion) "no, honey they had to take it." I think at this point I conked out again. I must have prepared for this possibility more than I thought or either the Holy Spirit was preparing me because I'm really okay with it. I think I'm really just glad I don't have cancer. Later the doc explained that when he went in, he couldn't even find the ovary b/c the cyst engulfed/killed it. So he took out the whole thing. There are several bits of good news: 1) the cyst was completely ben
ign 2) None of the stuff inside the cyst leaked out, which was a big concern. If it did, it could have caused major issues. 3) the other ovary is '
perfect' (in the words of my doc) and will take over the job of the other one, which means I won't have any hormone issues and such. When I woke up fully from surgery I had the same thought Mom did after her hysterectomy: "This hurts way worse than I thought it would". I'm healing a little more each day and figuring out ways to move around that don't hurt as bad.
It's definitely hard when Maddy is standing at my leg crying holding her arms out...breaks my heart. Fortunately she shouldn't remember this :)

I am overwhelmed by the outpouring of prayer, visitors, phone calls, emails, texts, facebook messages, meals, etc. I really can't begin to thank you enough. I am blessed. The Lord will receive glory through this. Feel free to call or email me, I have lots of time on my hands! And who wouldn't be blessed to see this smiling face every day? I'll throw in one of me too, I guess we do look alike :)

3 comments:

Christie Cottage said...

I stumbled across your blog and saw the beautiful little daughter.

I am thankful God blessed you with good news from your surgery and that you still have one ovary!

I agree, I was amzed at the pain from abdominal surgery.

Take care time recovering and best wishes to you!

Anonymous said...

So glad the surgery went well. I am praying for all of you through the recovery time!
And YES you do look alike! I remember the Jennifer in that picture!
Much love & prayers!
Rhonda

MaryBeth said...

I will continue to pray for yyou guys through your recovery. I had a c-section with Maggie, Kate, and Sarah so I can relate. Thank goodness your mom is there to help you out!