Thursday, August 13, 2009

Medical Update.

I’ve been putting this off for a little bit. When Keith & I went in for our ultrasound back in June and found out we’d had a miscarriage, the doctor called back the next day and told me they’d found a cyst on my right ovary. Which was just like putting sulfur in an open wound (which I have done via sulfur water in Alaska; totally a different story). They said I’d have to come back in 6 weeks for a follow up ultrasound to see the status of this cyst. 6 weeks came and went, had the ultrasound and I was pretty prepared for what came next (at least part of it). I had been having some pain in the right ovary area, so I knew it was still there, the doc called and confirmed my suspicions that it had grown. He told me they think it is a dermoid cyst, which by nature are mostly benign, but don’t go away on their own. So he told me I’d need surgery. I was okay with that until he called me a few days later and told me the cyst was too big to do laparoscopic. Now I’m getting sliced opened, c-section style. That is TOTALLY different. It requires at least one night’s stay in the hospital and 4-6 weeks of recovery. How do you explain to a 1.5 year old that her Mom can’t pick her up for that long? I will also admit that I HATE asking for help to do things. I’m prideful….and stubborn when it comes to this. I’m going to have to get over myself. Needless to say it’s been an eventful summer on the medical front and is now continuing into the fall. I have 3 more doctor appointments next week, including a stress test, and then the surgery is Thursday the 27th. I need your prayers desperately, I’m not looking forward to this at all.

3 comments:

Shana Stringer said...

WOW Jen definitely will keep that in my prayers.

MaryBeth said...

We'll be praying!!

p.s. I got to see Maddie one evening while she was at your mom's... she's even cuter in real life, if that's possible!!!!

Unknown said...

Zach and I will be praying for you Jen!